Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Julius Caesar Performance Assessment.

For the performance assessment, I have chosen what I think to be the one of the most significant moments during the play, the following passage is that specific moment, which can be found in Act 3, Scene 2, Lines 12-34.

"Be patient till the last.
Romans, countrymen, and lovers! hear me for my
cause, and be silent, that you may hear: believe me
for mine honour, and have respect to mine honour, that
you may believe: censure me in your wisdom, and
awake your senses, that you may the better judge.
If there be any in this assembly, any dear friend of
Caesar's, to him I say, that Brutus' love to Caesar
was no less than his. If then that friend demand
why Brutus rose against Caesar, this is my answer:
--Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved
Rome more. Had you rather Caesar were living and
die all slaves, than that Caesar were dead, to live
all free men? As Caesar loved me, I weep for him;
as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was
valiant, I honour him: but, as he was ambitious, I
slew him. There is tears for his love; joy for his
fortune; honour for his valour; and death for his
ambition. Who is here so base that would be a
bondman? If any, speak; for him have I offended.
Who is here so rude that would not be a Roman? If
any, speak; for him have I offended. Who is here so
vile that will not love his country? If any, speak;
for him have I offended. I pause for a reply."

The context of this passage is during Brutus's speech, and he is is hoping that the crowd would be able understand his position, and not rebel against him, and through his persuasive and authoritative speech, he was able to do so. He explains to the crowd the differences between having Caesar alive and dead, and was able to win the crowd over in the end.

I believe this is an important scene during the play because Brutus explains his intentions for murdering Caesar to the crowd, and tries to make his hopes and predictions on how the crowd would see them as purgers, and not murderers come true. This speech characterizes Brutus as noble, and devoted to his country, and it becomes obvious that Brutus killed for the better of Rome, not out of jealousy and hatred, meaning he was patriotic. This is also significant because it just goes to show how fickle and ignorant roman citizens could be, at one point were enraged about Caesar's death, and after a bit of flattering, they all ended up agreeing that Caesar was a tyrant and deserved to have died. They changed they're minds quickly without thinking of any of the good things that Caesar has accomplished. In addition, since we know at this point that Antony is actually against the conspirators, it probably means that he would be able to convince the city of Rome against Brutus during his speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment